Skip to main content

Community Profile

Geographic Context

The City of Burlingame is located on the San Francisco Peninsula, about 10 miles south of San Francisco. The corporate city limits encompass approximately 5.8 square miles, of which 76 percent (4.4 square miles) consists of developable land and the remaining 24 percent waters of San Francisco Bay (approximately 1.3 square miles) and the Mills Canyon Preserve (0.15 square miles). (See Figure CX-1.)

Sphere of Influence

A city’s sphere of influence refers to adjacent unincorporated areas that receive or may in the future receive services from the city and may become part of the city. The San Mateo County Local Agency Formation Commission (LAFCO) identifies the unincorporated residential neighborhood of Burlingame Hills as within Burlingame’s sphere of influence (see Figure CX-2).

Burlingame Planning Area

A General Plan, pursuant to State law, must address all areas within the jurisdiction’s planning area. The planning area for the Burlingame General Plan includes all properties within the incorporated city limits and the sphere of influence. Figure CX-2 shows the boundaries of the Burlingame Planning Area.